Safeguarding against sequence and tightening failures requires you to deploy tools equipped with error-proofing capabilities that track each screw the tools fasten. Eliminate product rework and warranties by adding another layer of error-proofing to the manufacturing line.
Common Sequence & Tightening Failures
- Under-tightening: Loose fasteners cause slippage between parts, placing unwanted shear stress
- Gasket creep – reading to loss of clamp force
- Screw Joint Failures
- Joint relaxation – Bolt tightness relaxes
- Joint Coefficients – Effect of friction coefficients in torque–preloading relationship
- Risks of missing screws, unfinished rundowns
- Risks of cross-threading
- Risks of incorrect fastening sequence
- Risks of human errors
- Lacking training, instructions, or guides for operators
- Lacking proper tools and supporting equipment
In many assemblies, tightening fasteners in the correct sequence ensures the joint’s reliability. Position control torque arms are designed for assembly lines with sequential fastening. They reduce the risks of improper fastening by using a position-control system (posi-control device). It consists of a torque arm with an encoder and a posi-control device.
A position control torque arm system ensures a power tool runs down the fasteners in the proper sequence. The encoder sends arm positioning data to the posi-control device, where it saves the data and the time it took to complete the rundown. During subsequent fastening with the positioning torque arm, the posi-control device will only clear a sequence if completed within the set parameters. It’s like putting the eyes and ears of a quality control manager where they are needed most – right at each workstation.
What You Will Learn:
- Ensure correct fastener sequencing
- Use visual sequence guides to display drawings or photos
- Prevent parts from leaving the production area with missing screws
- Monitor and control error-proofing and fastening sequences without the extra programming costs associated with PLCs
View Mountz torque webinar video
Mountz, Inc. provides torque arms and the tools to equip them for error-proofing assembly line or manufacturing facility. To find out how Mountz can deliver the precision your assembly operations demand, shop our store. Contact us anytime to ask a question. To inquire about price, request a quote. If you’d like to see our equipment in person, schedule an appointment. To get the latest torque-related news, follow us on LinkedIn.