Mountz, The Torque Tool Specialists®, hosted a torque webinar about how to ensure every screw is correctly tightened in the correct sequence
Safeguarding against sequence and tightening failures requires you to deploy tools equipped with error-proofing capabilities that track each screw the tools fasten. Eliminate product rework and warranties by adding another layer of error proofing to the manufacturing line.
Common Sequence & Tightening Failures
- Under-tightening: Loose fasteners causing slippage between parts, placing unwanted shear stress
- Gasket creep – reading to loss of clamp force
- Screw Joint Failures
- Joint relaxation – Bolt tightness relaxes
- Joint Coefficients – Effect of friction coefficients in torque–preloading relationship
- Risks of missing screws, unfinished rundowns
- Risks of cross-threading
- Risks of incorrect fastening sequence
- Risks of human errors
- Lacking of training, instructions or guides for operators
- Lacking proper tools and supporting equipment
In many assemblies, tightening fasteners in the correct sequence is what ensures the reliability of the joint. Position control torque arms are designed for assembly lines with sequential fastening. They reduce the risks of improper fastening through the use of a position-control system (posi-control device). It consists of a torque arm equipped with an encoder and the posi-control device itself.
A position control torque arm system ensures a power tool runs down the fasteners in the proper sequence. The encoder sends arm positioning data to the posi-control device where it saves the data and the time it took to complete the rundown. During subsequent fastening with the positioning torque arm, the posi-control device will not clear a sequence unless it has been completed within the set parameters. It’s like putting the eyes and ears of a quality control manager where they are needed most – right at each work station.
What You Will Learn:
- Ensure correct fastener sequencing
- Use visual sequence guides to display drawings or photos
- Prevent parts from leaving the production area with missing screws
- Monitor and control error-proofing and fastening sequence without the extra programming costs associated with PLCs
View Mountz torque webinar video
Mountz, Inc. provides torque arms and the tools to equip them for error-proofing assembly line or manufacturing facility. To find out how Mountz can deliver the precision your assembly operations demand, shop our store. Contact us anytime to ask a question. To inquire about price, request a quote. If you’d like to see our equipment in p